Collingswood Fire Department - FAQs

Q: Does the Fire Department pump water from my basement?
A: We do not remove water from basements because the hydrostatic pressure may do damage to your foundation. We will respond to investigate and secure your utilities to prevent fire or carbon monoxide incidents and help in any other way that we can.

Q: Why does a fire engine come when I only requested an ambulance?
A: All firefighters are trained as Emergency Medical Technicians. The fire engine and personnel respond to life threatening calls to assist the ambulance in treatment. They also respond to all EMS calls when Collingswood’s ambulance is tied up on another call for service to initiate treatment, until another ambulance arrives.

Q. Why does a fire engine or ambulance show up to perform an inspection on my property.
A: The staff that does inspections also answers all 911 calls for service. They must be readily available to respond to an emergency if needed.

Q: Why do you send so many fire vehicles to a fire?
A: There are a number of specialized roles that firefighters perform on a fire call and it is necessary to have enough firefighters on the scene of an incident. Firefighting is a very labor-intensive activity and more personnel on the scene early helps keep incidents under control. If our team falls behind because there are not enough firefighters on the call, it can be more difficult to extinguish a fire quickly.

Q: How do I arrange a tour of the fire station?
A: Call the fire station at 856-854-1043 x0 and request to schedule a tour.

Q: How can I get a copy of a fire incident report?
A: You can go to the forms page here and fill out an OPRA request form and submit that to the fire department c/o Lieutenant Robert Fox.

Q: How can I get a smoke detector from the Fire Department? Will you change the batteries in my smoke detector?
A: You can call the Fire Department and depending on your situation we can help supply smoke detectors or help you install smoke detectors you have purchased. If you need assistance in changing a battery call the Fire Department at 856-854-1043 X0 and schedule an appointment and a firefighter will respond to your home.

Q: How many smoke detectors should I install?
A: The Collingswood Fire Department recommends a detector on each floor of the residence including the attic and basement at a minimum. Also we recommend a detector in every bedroom. Detectors should not be placed within five (5) feet of a gas fueled appliance. It is also strongly recommended to have a carbon monoxide detector installed near bedrooms.

Q: What should you do if your carbon monoxide detector goes off?
A: Stay calm, call 911 and relocate to the exterior of the house. The best initial treatment for exposure to carbon monoxide is fresh air.

Q: What happens when I call 911?
A: Your call to 911 goes to a countywide dispatch center in Lindenwold. The dispatcher will help you and ask you for some important information.
•    What is your emergency?
•    What type of service do you need (fire, ems or police)?
•    Name, address and phone number?

Q: What is a medical emergency?
A: A medical emergency is when you need help immediately. We always respond when you call. However, if our only available ambulance is on a non-emergent call, then they must complete that call before they are available for an emergency.

Q: If the ambulance takes me to the hospital, can I pick the hospital and do I get treated faster?
A: No. You are taken to one of the closest hospitals for your emergency. Hospitals treat the most serious patients first. It doesn’t matter whether you come by ambulance, private auto or walk-in.

Q: Is there a fee if the Collingswood Fire Department Ambulance takes me to the hospital?
A: Yes. If you are transported to the hospital, your health insurance will cover most, if not all of the cost. Your Collingswood EMS membership subscription will cover the balance of the fee your insurance provider may not cover, or the entire fee, if you do not have insurance. If you do not have medical insurance or EMS membership, you will be responsible for all of the cost. Visit the forms page here for an EMS membership application.